He was the Chairman of the Department of Urology at Muljibhai Patel Urological Hospital since 1983 till 12th June, 2010. He is the Managing Trustee of MPUH and Honorary Managing Director of Muljibhai Patel Society for Research in Nephro-Urology since 16th February, 2001, Medical Director of MPUH since 12th June, 2010 and the Director of the Jayaramdas Patel Academic Center.
- President, Urological Society of India (2006-2007).
- President, Asian Society of Endourology (2008-2012).
- President, Society International d’Urologie (SIU) (October, 2011-2012).
- President: World Endourology Society (2012-2013)
- St Paul’s Medal British Association of Urological Surgeons. 2012
- American Urological Association Citation 2012.
- Qimpro Platinum Statesman Award in Healthcare Sector 2012
- Hon Membership: Urological Society of Australasia and New Zealand.
- Richard Tiptaft Visiting Professorship, Guy’s Hospital. UK
750 scientific papers, 160 workshops, and published 120 scientific papers in national & international journals.
Dr Desai was awarded the prestigious Dr. B.C. Roy National Award for the year 2000 in “Recognition of the best talents in encouraging the development of Specialties in different branches of Medicine” by the President of India. He was also awarded the prestigious St. Paul’s Medal for the year 2012 by British Association of Urological Surgeons.
Dr. Mahesh Desai’s wide experience and skills have resulted in his being elected as a member of American Association of Genito-Urinary Surgeons. He is the first Indian to have this honor. He was also the first Indian to deliver a Guest Lecture in the plenary session of American Urological Association’s Annual Conference held at Chicago on 30th April, 2003. Under his leadership India hosted, for the first time, the World Congress on Endourology, in November, 2004 at Mumbai.